NIKON® INTRODUCES D70s™ DIGITAL SLR CAMERA;
OFFERS UPGRADES TO 2004’s “CAMERA OF THE YEAR”
6.1-Megapixel D70s Features Internal and External Refinements to Become a Worthy Successor to the Venerable D70 Digital SLR Camera
MELVILLE, NY, APRIL 20, 2005 – Incorporating upgrades based on user feedback and advancement in technologies, Nikon® (www.nikondigital.com) today introduced the D70s™ 6.1-effective megapixel digital SLR camera. The D70s builds on the success of its popular predecessor, the D70, with multiple internal and external refinements including an improved autofocus system, larger LCD monitor, the addition of a remote cord port, new graphic user interface, among several other enhancements. Designed for a broad range of consumers from experienced and amateur photographers to beginning photo enthusiasts and hobbyists, the D70s offers a proven track record of superior image quality, robust performance, and advanced new features.
The Nikon D70s maintains leadership in its class of cameras and offers tremendous value to customers by combining various new and existing technologies into a comprehensive feature set. Its DX format 6.1-effective megapixel CCD sensor is optimized to deliver images with excellent sharpness and clarity. An improved autofocus system delivers enhanced performance, especially in Dynamic area AF and Dynamic area AF with closest subject priority modes. This combined with Nikon’s unique Dynamic Buffer technology (that allows the camera to continuously take up to 144 pictures at a speed of three pictures per second*) makes the D70s even more responsive and when photographing fast moving subjects.
“Nikon’s commitment to its customers is exemplified with the introduction of the D70s. Nikon has taken an internationally best-selling digital SLR camera and made it even more appealing to hobbyists and photo enthusiasts by incorporating a range of enhancements and new features that were based largely on the feedback we received from our customers and research findings,” said Steve Heiner, general manager of Digital SLR Systems for Nikon Inc. “The D70s now represents the best combination of performance and value for photo enthusiasts, and offers superb image quality, advanced speed and simple, intuitive usability. We are confident the D70s will continue to build on the popularity of the D70.”
Smart New Enhancements
The D70s incorporates a host of new enhancements and refinements internally and externally, in addition to all of the advanced features and innovations found in the D70:
• A refined 5-area autofocus system now has an all-area search priority to go along with the camera’s single area, dynamic area, and close subject priorities, improving the camera’s ability to acquire focus on fast moving subjects within the frame.
• The camera now boasts a larger 2.0” LCD monitor, making it easier for users to review images and access menus.
• A new remote port for the MC-DC1 electronic cable release (optional) allows users to trigger the camera and hold the shutter open via an electronic cable release
• A built-in Speedlight with a wider angle of coverage, supports 18mm lenses.
• A new easier-to-read menu design in the D70s uses color-coded menus, and a larger type-face.
• A higher capacity EN-EL3a battery offers users more pictures per charge. The EN-EL3a battery comes with a new, smaller MH-18a battery charger. Both the new battery and charger are included with the D70s.
System Versatility: DX Nikkor Lenses
The D70s joins Nikon’s current selection of digital SLR models and inherits the popular DX format sensor and Nikon F-Mount, making it seamlessly compatible with all AF Nikkor lenses and Nikon’s exclusive DX Nikkor lenses. Designed exclusively for use with DX Format digital SLR cameras, DX Nikkor lenses deliver a wider picture angle, higher performance, and outstanding center-to-edge-to-corner image quality, while realizing smaller and lighter designs. All DX Nikkor lenses have a picture angle comparable to that of 35mm format lenses with a 1.5x factor. Since the introduction of the DX Nikkor lenses, the series has grown to include six lenses. These include:
• New AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED
• New AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED
• AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 IF-ED
• AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G IF-ED
• AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G IF-ED
• AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED
Simplified Creativity: Revolutionary Built-in Speedlight with i-TTL
Taking its cue from the D70, the D70s’ built-in Speedlight offers a level of performance that is unrivalled in any other digital SLR camera in its class. Designed to be a part of Nikon’s growing Creative Lighting System, the D70s’ built-in Speedlight adopts Nikon's exclusive i-TTL flash control technology. In addition to normal on-camera use, the D70s’ built-in Speedlight can also be used in Commander Mode to remotely control one group of multiple SB-600 or SB-800 Speedlights wirelessly, offering users remarkable creative lighting control while still maintaining point-and-shoot simplicity. Alternately, an SB-800 can be mounted on the D70s and used as the Master Speedlight for even more control of up to three remote groups of wireless Speedlights, with each group consisting of any number of Nikon SB-800 or SB-600 Speedlight units. The D70s lets you shoot at synchronized speeds up to 1/500 second for great fill effects under brighter light conditions, while FV Lock maintains the measured flash value while recomposing the shot so you still achieve the appropriate flash output for the subject.
Powerful Software: New Nikon PictureProject™ and PictureProject In Touch
Software is a key component of the digital photography experience, and a key component of Nikon's Total Imaging System. After conducting exhaustive worldwide research into customer expectations, requirements and work habits, Nikon has developed the new PictureProject 1.5 image management and editing software. Based entirely on a new software architecture that empowers customers of varying skill levels to maximize their digital photography experience, Nikon PictureProject 1.5 boasts powerful features wrapped into a brand new interface that navigates quickly and is easy to master. While PictureProject 1.5 is already a dynamic new addition to Nikon photography, the software also supports plug-ins, allowing users to add new features, as technology and the digital camera market evolve. The software allows users to easily transfer images to PC’s or MAC’s and browse, organize, and share them. With support for JPEG, TIFF and NEF and compressed NEF (RAW) files, PictureProject 1.5 works in close unison with Nikon Capture 4.2 as the ideal companion to its powerful feature set.
With Nikon’s PictureProject In Touch™, users can share photos without attaching them in an email or uploading them to a website. PictureProject In Touch is a free desktop software application, available via download on www.nikonnet.com and included with the newest version 1.5 of PictureProject™ software. It enables the fast, seamless and easy transfer of pictures between a sender and one or more recipients and can be viewed as full-screen slide shows with the click of a button. With this powerful software, Nikon can ensure that its customers will always keep ahead of the technology curve.
The Nikon D70s will be available either as an Outfit or a Set. The D70s Outfit includes the camera body, rechargeable battery, charger, new Nikon PictureProject™ software, neck strap and the new high-performance AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G IF-ED lens. The D70s Set includes all items mentioned above except the lens. The D70s Outfit will be available for an estimated street price of $1199.95, while the D70s Set (body only) will be available for an estimated street price of $899.95*1. The camera will ship in early May 2005.
MAJOR FEATURES OF THE NIKON D70s DIGITAL SLR
Accurate, vivid color
• 6.1 effective megapixels Nikon DX Format CCD imaging sensor produces 3,008 x 2,000-pixel images with high resolution and superbly sharp details.
• Advanced digital image processor uses advanced algorithms to optimize image quality, while also controlling auto white balance, auto tone and color control, as well as real-time processes to diminish digital noise and produce beautiful long exposure shots.
• Accurate white balance achieved by Nikon's acclaimed 3D Color Matrix Meter with 1,005-pixel for highly precise control over white balance under widely varied lighting conditions.
High Performance and Quick Response
• Continuous shooting at 3 frames per second for a continuous burst of up to 144 pictures (When using JPEG NORMAL - Large setting, and a SanDisk SDCFH (Ultra II), SDCFX (Extreme/Extreme III), or Lexar Media 80X WA CompactFlash™ card) thanks to improved buffer memory handling, faster image processing, increased memory card access speed and greater system bus bandwidth. (The number of continuous shots possible in a single burst may be fewer depending on the type of CF card used.)
• Ultra-short shutter time lag is hardly noticeable and offers very quick response.
• Immediate power-up has the D70s ready to take pictures before your finger can reach the shutter button.
• High-speed, high precision 5-area AF system with predictive focus tracking and Lock-on™ ensures quick response and sharp focus, while an AF-assist illuminator helps ensure top performance in dark situations.
• Fast shutter speed with a range from 30 to 1/8,000 sec. for full creative control.
• Fast flash sync shutter speeds up to 1/500 sec. available for great fill-effects under brighter light conditions.
Optimized and Predictable Results
• Seven Automated Digital Vari-Program selections easily accessed from the Mode Dial deliver automatic operation that optimizes white balance, sharpening, tone, color, saturation and hue for crisp and vivid results that match the intended shot. Selections include Auto, Portrait, Landscape, Close-up, Sports, Night Portrait, and Night Landscape.
• Image enhancement options optimize sharpening, contrast, tone, color, saturation and hue while using Auto Multi Program [P], Shutter-Priority Auto [S], [Aperture-Priority Auto A], or [Manual M] exposure modes to best match the scene or intended use for the picture. The easy to set choices include Normal, Vivid, Sharp, Soft, Direct print, Landscape or Custom optimization
• Optimized exposure with a choice of three TTL exposure modes, including Nikon's acclaimed 3D Color Matrix Meter with 1,005-pixel RGB Sensor, variable Center-Weighted Meter and choice of Spot Meters.
• Nikon’s built-in iTTL automatic balanced Fill-Flash can shoot at synchronized speeds up to 1/500 second for great fill effects when shooting in brighter lighting conditions; compatibility within Nikon’s Creative Lighting System.
• Flash exposure compensation; a comprehensive selection of compensation tools enable more versatile picture taking; tools for ambient light, flash illumination and the two combined are provided.
• New Generation Color Reproduction System offers a choice of three color modes to ensure the best match for the shot when operating the camera manually.
Mode Ia: Renders natural-looking skin tones out of the camera. (sRGB)
Mode II: Realizes a wider color range suited for processing or retouching. (Adobe RGB)
Mode IIIa: Renders vivid landscape and flora colors out of the camera. (sRGB)
• JPEG and NEF Combination Filing System enables simultaneous recording of compressed NEF (RAW) and JPEG data for the same shot to optimize and accelerate workflow.
• Exclusive use of Compressed NEF files to maximize number of raw images possible for each CF card used.
Creative and Versatile System for Subtle Expression
• High-Quality Nikkor lenses: The unrivalled performance of AF, AF-S and DX Nikkor lenses expand creative possibilities to the maximum.
• Built-in auto pop-up flash features exclusive i-TTL flash control, fast 1/500 sec. flash sync shutter speed, and supports Nikon's Creative Lighting System for wireless control of remote SB-600 and SB-800 Speedlights. Also supports wide-angle lenses up to 18mm.
• ISO flash shoe makes it easy to attach an SB-600 or SB-800 Speedlight directly to the camera.
• Integrated Nikon Software Solutions:
Nikon Capture 4 (optional) is a comprehensive image editing and remote camera control package that fully supports NEF* (compressed and uncompressed) (RAW), TIFF and JPEG data. Among other features, the package offers Image Dust Off sensor dust and particle shade removal control; D-Lighting for scene-specific automatic dodge and burn control; and transformation of shots from the AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED lens to ultra-wideangle images.
Picture Project is Nikon's versatile bundled software that simplifies and improves data transfer, as well as browsing and editing of image files. Picture Project introduces an entirely new intuitive user interface, and supports exclusive Nikon plug-ins for added function.
Improved Overall Performance
• Large 2 inch LCD monitor with user-friendly menus located directly below the viewfinder displays bigger menu fonts and icons that use familiar keywords for ease of understanding. A protective clear LCD cover is also included with the D70s.
• Versatile LCD playback options include Single frame, Thumbnail (4 or 9 segments), Zoom playback (up to 4.7x), Slide show, Histogram indication, and Highlight point displays with automatic image rotation for vertical shots.
• 25 Custom Settings allow you to personalize the operation of your D70s to match your shooting style or the demands of different shooting conditions
• Remote control operation made available with optional ML-L3 (IR) or MC-DC1 electronic cable release.
• Direct printing from the D70 to any PictBridge compatible printer using the supplied USB cable.
Nikon, At the Heart of the Image™. Nikon Inc. is the world leader in digital imaging, precision optics and photo imaging technology and is globally recognized for setting new standards in product design and performance for its award-winning consumer and professional photographic equipment. Nikon Inc. distributes the Nikon Total Imaging System of consumer and professional digital SLR cameras, Nikkor optics, Speedlights and System Accessories; Nikon Coolpix® compact digital cameras; Coolscan® digital film scanners; 35mm film SLR cameras; Nikon software products and Nikon sports and recreational optics. At the heart of every Nikon camera is Nikon’s Exclusive Feature System, making it easy for anyone to take amazing digital pictures. Through the Nikon Spirit Initiative™, the company, plays an active role in supporting aspiring and advanced photographers through a variety of philanthropic organizations, educational programs, events and workshops. For more information, dial (800) NIKON-US or visit www.nikonusa.com, which links all levels of photographers to the web's most comprehensive photo learning and sharing communities.
* D70s continuously takes up to 144 pictures at a speed of three pictures per second when using JPEG NORMAL – Large image settings, and a SanDisk® 256 MB Ultra II CompactFlash™ card
*1 Estimated selling prices listed are only an estimate. Actual prices are set by dealers and are subject to change at any time.